Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Mugging

One of my most memorable expriences was being mugged in Pudu bus station in KL in my first year in university. I was there in the wee hours of the morning on the way to an interview for a scholarship. I was groggy from the journey but still distractedly going over what to say in the interview when two Chinese men sat down next to me and started murmuring something - in Mandarin. That's right, I was being mugged but unaware of it! After getting fed up with my blank stares one of them pointed a small knife at me and patted my wallet. Light dawned. I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared stiff, but after the initial shock some measure of rationality came back to me - although no one seemed to notice, I was still in a fairly public place. I remember asking them to leave me with ten dollars - in Hokkien - so I could still take the taxi to the interview. They asked for my handphone, I pretended to turn out my pockets to show them I didn't have one (I did). Before leaving they took a close look at my watch and decided it wasn't worth stealing...oh well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you got to the interview. On time. But seriously, what were you doing in Pudu, so early in the morning? That's just crazy thinking, man. Glad nothing happened to you.

Anonymous said...

hey,din noe u had a blog. i have to admit, ur art is still amazing. (refering to "chapters of life" in previous entry). PUDU is a crazy place. Ive heard so much bout it. Its still good you werent hurt physically.